Tuesday 19 July 2011

Church Fair

When we were in DC, it took us at least 45 minutes to drive from Kensington/Silver Spring to our church in Georgetown.  While it was worth it to us to attend a church that was spiritually and mentally fulfilling (Jesuit, liberal, intelligent homilies, etc.) it was difficult to become a part of the community because it was such a pain to get there! 

All of that is to say that Jason and I are thrilled to have found a parish we like that also happens to be a ten minute walk from our flat!  The music could be improved upon (I'm doing my best to help with that) but it is otherwise a great parish to be a part of.  The pastor is down-to-earth and friendly, and we have already begun to befriend some of the parishioners like Mary-Maye and her family!

Last weekend, the church hosted a fair (which for some reason kept making me think about the fairs in Pillars of the Earth.  Perhaps because they aren't something we do much of in the states and the only church fairs I'm familiar with are from that book!).  Despite being a wet day, we had a great time.  We chatted with some new friends, ate some good food and listened to some good live music.  Here are a few pictures from the afternoon:

Father Dominic and some new friends

We were sad to miss all of this go down.

A hog roast from the local butcher shop

The church courtyard

It was quite a wet day, but the kids didn't seem to care. 

The jazz band was supposed to play outside, but I can't blame them for moving indoors instead!

We tried to get some pictures of Charlotte with her new friend Eden, but couldn't get the two of them to look in the same direction at the same time.  I was just going to post one or two of these, but the series of them makes me laugh, so I thought I might as well post them all:









I especially love the ones of Charlotte with her mouth open.  I can't look at them without laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...